• Menu
  • Menu
Home > Lviv region > Truskavets > St. Nicholas Church

St. Nicholas Church


Location: Truskavets, St. Stebnitsyka, 2

St. Nicholas Greek Catholic Church

At the corner of S. Bandera Street and Stebnitska Street stands the stone and brick-built Greek Catholic Church of St. Nicholas. From historical documents we know that in 1515 in Truskavets there was a parish wooden church of St. Nicholas. Since 1660 it received a privilege from the Polish king Jan Kazimir. The text of the document sounded as follows: «By royal charter from October 6, 1660 grants the parish of Truskavets, Drohobych district, to the Polish King Jan Kazimir to the priests Paul and Andrew, Basil and Stephen».

Church interior

The existence of two ancient wooden churches in Truskavets — the parish church of St. Nicholas (lower) and the daughter church of the Holy Trinity (upper) is confirmed by the consignments of their reality, drawn up on September 29, 1798 by the priest Paul Jaworski and signed (certified) by the sign of the cross by the headman Vasiliy Rizhnyak, juror Vasiliy Gurbach and representatives of the community — Ivan Matskiva, Ivan and Ilya Prystai.

In 1861-1886 the present stone church was built. At that time the church was one-storied. Its shoulders were covered with gable roofs, below the side rooms were single-pitched, crowned at the corners with small lanterns with domes. The nave was completed by a quatrefoil with cut edges, covered by a dome with a lantern. The interior of the church was decorated with a four-tier iconostasis of the second half of the XIX century (preserved until now). Before 1920 a stone bell tower was built nearby. In 1928 the church was restored, and in 1938 it was reconstructed according to the project (1937) of the Ukrainian builder Lev Shelevich from Drohobych on the funds of the Greek-Catholic community and the father of the priest Ivan Valiuch. In 1989-1992 during the reconstruction of the church the painting was done under the direction of the restoration artist Bogdan Balitsky. On October 11, 1998 the Diocesan Museum was opened near St. Nicholas Church in the house of the Samborsko-Drohobych Diocese.

Top Attractions