• Menu
  • Menu
Home > Ternopil region > Ternopil > Church of the Nativity

Church of the Nativity


Location: Ternopil, St. Ruska, 22

On Russkaya Street, house 22, there is the Church of the Nativity of Christ. This church is called one of the best examples of Podolsk architectural school of the 17th century. Once Orthodox, this church is now Greek-Catholic.

This beautiful architectural monument was built in 1602-1608 years by a master named Leontius at the Kamenets-Podolskie gate near the city rampart.

The building of this church acquired its modern appearance after several rebuildings. Initially, the church was three-part, three-conch, with a defense tower above the narthex. Then the building was divided by ceilings along the whole perimeter so that there were two churches — upper and lower.

The entrance to the upper tier was built in 1709, when two side semicircular towers were added to the narthex. And already in the 19th century the western facade of the church was given an additional volume, covering it with an octagonal vault, closed at the base, located on an octagonal light drum.

Two of the three chapters crowning the vaults of the church are decorative. They best correspond to the traditional scheme of three-top temples, used in Ukraine.

Inside the church building one can see high semi-circular openings, which spatially unite the volumes. The nave (an elongated room limited by a number of columns or pillars) is distinguished by its greater height, it is covered, as well as the babynets, with a cross vault. And the apse (a protrusion of the building, covered with a half-dome or a closed half-vault) is covered with a quarter-spherical vault with decks.

Top Attractions