The history of the Donets Holy Transfiguration Cathedral began in the distant 1883. On the place where stood the old wooden church, began to build a stone building. Money for the construction was allocated Bakhmut merchant AS Lobas. The temple was built by common efforts of the inhabitants. For this purpose a brickyard was deliberately built. Landowner Prince Levin, Novorossiysk society, merchant Lobas, residents of Yuzovka (old name Donetsk), workers of the factory donated to the construction of the cathedral who could, all collected 17 thousand rubles. The construction lasted two years and in 1886 the church was consecrated. Holy Transfiguration Cathedral is named in honor of the Orthodox holiday of the Transfiguration of the Lord and in the Donetsk diocese is the cathedral. Its first priest was A.G. Matveevsky. Later his nine sons devoted their lives to serving God. A record (chronicle) of all important events was kept at the temple. With the money collected for new donations to the temple, the bell tower, domes, two rooms for altars, refectory were gradually added. Over time, the cathedral acquired a completed look. The number of parishioners was constantly increasing.
And then came hard times for the cathedral. The First World War, revolutionary events, civil war. In 1922, at Lenin’s request, church utensils were withdrawn from all churches, ostensibly to help the hungry. And in December 1930, meetings of workers were held, which decided to remove the church bells (because of the lack of non-ferrous metals in the country and the need to strengthen defense capabilities) and in 1931 the church was closed. And in 1931 Stalin noted that the subversive work of blowing up the cathedral was well done.
And only February 12, 1992 in the Donetsk City Council decided to allocate land for the construction of the cathedral on the site where there was a cemetery. The new cathedral preserved the general outlines of the former temple and fits very well into the architecture of the neighborhood.
Today, on the site of the former Holy Transfiguration Cathedral, in impassive silence border the memorial to «Fighters for Soviet Power» and flaming white light candle of the Church of the Nativity of Christ.
The cathedral has a total area of 1,000 square meters and seats more than three thousand people. The temple has three iconostases and three thrones, as well as a three-tiered bell tower, parts of which are connected by means of a staircase and elevator. The entrance portals of the temple are decorated with mosaics made of metal and high quality wood. Coverings of domes, crosses, pedestals are made of copper and covered with gilding.
Wall paintings, three magnificent carved iconostases, which give a gracious look easel painting and gilding, brass lamps, art tiles for the floor, extraordinary frescoes on the walls — all details are thought out to give people peace of mind and awaken in people the happiness to be close to God.